Labels

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Recognizing the Spirit

The Book of Mormon and modern day prophets promise us that the Holy Ghost will tell us "the truth of all things" or "things as they really are." I belive that most people live far beneath their privileges when it comes to this promise. In other words, we could be enjoying the fruits of the Spirit much more than we do now.

I think Satan has been extremely successful in his lie that we are alone. When tough questions come or difficult situations most people turn inward, falsly believing that they must face it or resolve it alone.

The truth is, we have more power on our side than we dare to imagine.
Not only do we have our loved ones and local church leaders on our side, as children of an Almighty God we have access to his eternal wisdom and love.

I have been struggling with a question in my heart for the past few weeks and yesterday I attended the temple. I opened my heart to Spirit and was filled with that familiar, overwhelming love. I have felt that love fill me countless times before, but it never fails to take my breath away. With the love came several insights and promises about the question in my heart.

I was not struck by lightning. I was not tapped on the shoulder. It was the still small voice. It sounded like my voice in my head, but it was the feeling that came along with the voice that makes me know it was from my Heavenly Father. The feeling is beautifully described in Helaman 5:30:

"And it came to pass when they heard this voice, and beheld that it was not a voice of thunder, neither was it a voice of great tumultuous noise, but behold it was a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper, and it did pierce even to the very soul."

The Book of Mormon and all it's teachings are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment