Labels

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Nephi's Example

As I have been reading the past week I kept thinking about the example Nephi has set of showing faith. When Lehi recounts his vision of the tree of life Nephi was "desirous also that I might see." He knew that the Lord could show him all the things his father saw through the power of the Holy Ghost. As Nephi pondered the words his father spoke he was taken to a high mountian and asked by a spirit what was his desire? He told the spirit he wanted to see the things that his father Lehi had seen and that he believed the words spoken by his father. The spirit told him to look and Nephi was able to see all that his father saw.

I am so impressed by Nephi! When he wanted to learn more and was seeking to understand the words of his father he did what Heavenly Father has asked us to do study, ponder,and ask. Nephi showed his faith by doing. Because Nephi follow the counsel of Heavenly Father he was able to recieve the answers to his questions.

After Nephi is shown the vision he returns to his tent and finds his brothers fighting. He asks his brothers why they are arguing? They tell him that they are fighting because they do not understand the words that there father had spoken. Nephi asks them if they had prayed or asked the Lord? They replied,"We have not; for the Lord maketh no such things known unto us."

Nephi took the time to ask and know for himself that the words spoken by Lehi were true and was able to see for himself the vision. His brothers never took the time to ask and they did not understand the words spoken by Lehi.

As I read this I was reminded how important it is to study the scriptures and current conference talks. To follow the example shown by Nephi to study and ponder the word of God and then pray and ask for the Holy Ghost to confirm to me that what I am reading is true. Then I can know for myself that what is said is the will of Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment